NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Sales of Google's (GOOG) Chromebook surged this year -- outselling Apple's (AAPL) MacBook, according to a study by research group NPD. From January through November 2013, 1.76 million Chromebooks were sold -- that's up from a total of 400,000 sold last year. Altogether, Chromebooks made up 21% of notebook sales in 2013.
Sales of Google's Chromebook surged this year -- outselling Apple's MacBook, according to a study by research group NPD.
The report found that 25% more desktops, notebooks and tablets were sold in the U.S. in 2013 compared to the year earlier. Helping to fuel that surge -- Chromebooks, which saw 1.76 million units sold from January through November. That's up from 400,000 units in 2012. That means Chromebooks made up 21% of notebook sales in 2013, according to NPD. Meanwhile, the report showed that Apple's desktop and laptop sales dropped 7%.
Amazon's (AMZN) list of best-selling products during the holiday period backs up NPD's findings. Amazon lists Chromebooks as first and second on its list of best-selling laptops this holiday season. A driving factor could be their lower price points: Amazon's top seller was the Acer C720 Chromebook, which is listed for $199.
In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet.
--Written by Brittany Umar in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV