NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I'll be clear upfront: I'm not a fan of the Surface 2 tablet and the Lumia phone. I don't like the feel of the Lumia, and I don't like the operating system on the tablet. I tried! I honestly did.
But I'm not everyone, and my preferences don't really matter.
Sure, call me an Apple (AAPL) "fanboy" because I prefer the size and feel, look and operating system of its products. Before that, I was a BlackBerry (BBRY) user and I'll be honest, I loved my setup at the time.
But other people seem to like the Surface 2 tablet, especially people who use Windows computers. Different strokes, I guess.
But this is why Microsoft has its advertising cannon pointed at the wrong company: Apple.
The marketing campaign would have you believe that Apple's iPad is grossly overpriced while the Surface 2 is much cheaper.
[Read: Microsoft Surface: A Study in Erroneous Product Development]
For the 16-gigabyte iPad Air Wi-Fi, the base model, consumers pay $499. The 32-gigabyte base model of the Surface 2 is priced at $449.
But it's not like the Surface is that much cheaper, especially for the base models. What's more, the Surface Pro 2 model starts at $899 for the 64-gigabyte model, vs. Apple's only $699 iPad Air 64-gig model.
[Read: Qualcomm's Mollenkopf Not Heading to Microsoft]
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV