BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- The Dow Jones Industrial Average has been getting the short end of the stick in 2013. With the blue chip stock index trailing the S&P 500 350 basis points, it's the less exciting of the big indexes, despite the stuffy old Dow being up 25.7% since the first session of the year.
>>5 Stocks Under $10 Set to Soar
But even though the Dow is trailing, it's still been posting some impressive numbers: More than half of the 30 stocks that make up the Dow are up more than 30% in 2013. So much for boring blue chips.
Better yet, the Dow could hold the keys to even more gains in 2014. All you have to do is look for the "dogs."
The Dogs of the Dow is a strategy that's built around simply buying the ten highest-yielding Dow Jones Industrial Average stocks, rebalancing once a year, and holding on. Because yield is inversely related to performance, these big names tend to be late bloomers out of the big index's 30 names. So, should you be buying the dogs as the calendar flips over to 2014?
>>5 Stocks With Big Insider Buying
>>5 Dividend Stocks Ready to Pay You More in 2014
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV