By David Russell of OptionsMonster
NEW YORK -- The parent of Hawaiian Airlines has broken above its highs from late 2009, and the bulls are piling on board.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected unusual activity in Hawaiian Holdings' (HA) April 9 calls, with more than 7,000 purchased mostly for $0.90. Volume was far above the strike's previous open interest of just 419 contracts, showing that new positions were initiated.
More than 4,000 January 8 calls were sold around the same time for $1.20, so it appears that some of Friday's buys were a roll of a bullish long position up in strike and out in time.
Long calls lock in the price where shares can be bought, letting investors position for gains by using much less capital than purchasing shares directly. The options can deliver significant leverage in a rally but will expire worthless if the stock falls too far.Hawaiian's shares were down fractionally before the trades hit but then turned around and closed higher by 1.71% to $9.50. The stock has appreciated 55% in the last six months. Short interest was 19% of the float at the end of last month, which could provide some additional jet fuel as well for the stock. Overall option volume was more than 100 times greater than average in the session, with calls accounting for a bullish 96% of the total. -- Written by David Russell Russell has no positions in HA.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV