Dutch Publisher to Acquire ACNielsen
Dutch publisher VNU has agreed to acquire marketing and media information firm ACNielsen (ART) for $36.75 a share. The deal, valued at $2.3 billion, is expected to close in the first quarter of 2001.
VNU already owns Nielsen Media Research, Nielsen's U.S. media ratings business, which it bought 13 months ago. The company was split in two halves in 1996.
The price represented a 49% premium over Friday's closing price of $24.63 a share on the New York Stock Exchange. On Monday, Nielsen shares rose $11.38, or 46.2%, to $36 in NYSE trading.
VNU plans to fund the acquisition through an interim loan, but is considering an equity issue of 500 million euros and is also considering the sale of its consumer and educational information groups. The company said the transactions are expected to increase earnings by at least 5% in 2000 and 2001 and accelerate the company's earnings growth rate beyond that.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV