Trade-Ideas: Goodrich Petroleum (GDP) Is Today's "Dead Cat Bounce" Stock
- GDP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $44.2 million.
- GDP has traded 547,808 shares today.
- GDP is up 3% today.
- GDP was down 5.1% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in GDP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for GDP NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on GDP: Goodrich Petroleum Corporation, an independent oil and natural gas company, engages in the exploration, development, and production of oil and natural gas. Currently there are 12 analysts that rate Goodrich Petroleum a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold. The average volume for Goodrich Petroleum has been 2.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Goodrich has a market cap of $755.5 million and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 2.83 and a short float of 28.3% with 2.87 days to cover. Shares are up 76.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Goodrich Petroleum as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 318.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $12.41 million to -$27.09 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.89 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.27, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, GOODRICH PETROLEUM CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $4.98 million or 74.64% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- GOODRICH PETROLEUM CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GOODRICH PETROLEUM CORP reported poor results of -$2.48 versus -$1.05 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$2.36 versus -$2.48).
- You can view the full Goodrich Petroleum Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.