At first glance, the spice business may not seem particularly exciting. But McCormick (MKC) proves that's not necessarily so. McCormick is the world's biggest manufacturer and distributor of spices, extracts and seasonings. That focus may be relatively narrow, but it gives McCormick serious command of your grocer's spice aisle. The firm's leading brands include Old Bay, Zatarain's and Thai Kitchen in addition to the McCormick label.
McCormicks reach goes beyond grocery -- it also serves restaurant chains and packaged food firms that use its seasonings in their respective products. Because few firms can boast MKC's operational expertise with spices, it's a go-to firm for clients who need help developing and mass-producing the seasonings they use in large-scale food manufacturing. Some of McCormick's most exciting tailwinds come from emerging markets, where consumers aren't strangers to spices but may be less familiar with the convenience of pre-packaged seasonings. If MKC can extend its margins into developing countries, shareholders stand to benefit.
Shareholder benefits are nothing new for this stock. The firm has paid out a dividend in each of the last 85 straight years, an impressive streak that's spanned both booms and busts. That dedication to shareholder value makes the 11.66 short interest ratio on this stock look overdone. Keep an eye out for Jan. 27 earnings as a potential catalyst.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV