The video this transcript is based on appeared on December 27.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stocks edged higher in early trading and Textron is buying the parent company of Beechcraft in a cash deal valued at $1.4 billion.
Good morning and happy Friday. I'm Jeanne Yurman.
Stocks are moving higher once again in this last day of the holiday shortened trading week. If markets hold on to gains today this will mark the seventh straight advance for stocks--the longest streak since March. All three major stock gauges are poised for weekly gains of well over one percent.
In corporate news, industrial conglomerate Textron (TXT) is scooping up the parent company of Beechcraft in a cash deal valued at $1.4 billion. This expands Textron's aviation business by adding production of Cessna planes to its existing line of Bell helicopters. At last check, shares were climbing nearly 2 percent.
And a major recall for General Motors (GM) . GM and its Chinese partner SAIC have issued a recall in China for more than 1.46 million Buick and Chevrolet cars due to defective fuel-pump brackets according to China's regulator. This marks one of the biggest recalls ever in the world's largest auto market.
Separately, according to China's watchdog, Ford Motor (F) and its Chinese partner also will recall close to 81,000 of its Kuga cars over a steering part. Both stocks are trading down less than one percent.
And those are your morning headlines. For TheStreet, I'm Jeanne Yurman in New York.
Written by Jeanne Yurman in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV