NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Don Draper likes his drinks "big and brown," as he puts it in one episode of "Mad Men," and so, it appears, do the rest of us.
More than six years after the first episode of the hit series about 1960s Madison Avenue hit the airwaves, sales of whiskey and bourbon continue to grow at a faster rate than clear drinks like tequila, vodka and gin.
According to a research note from Goldman Sachs published Monday that cites data from research firm Nielsen, bourbon sales have grown by more than 11% over the past 12 weeks, while both Canadian and Irish whiskey are up by more than 15% each. Scotch sales are up nearly 12% during that period. The numbers are similarly strong looking over the past 52 weeks, according to the report.
While data for previous periods could not be obtained , the "Mad Men effect" is widely talked about among whiskey sellers, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader, of Lexington, Ky.For those looking to invest in the popularity of brown spirits, the path is murkier than the finest scotch whiskey, however. While BEAM Inc. (BEAM) would seem to be an obvious stock to buy, sales for the maker of Jim Beam, Makers Mark and Don Draper's favorite, Canadian Club whiskey, have lately lagged the overall market for spirits, according to Goldman's report. While spirit sales are up 5.8% for the latest four week period, BEAM Inc. sales have grown at a more modest 4.8% clip. Sales at Brown-Forman Inc. (BF.A), maker of various Jack Daniels brands, have also lagged the broader market, growing at 5.4%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV