NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Although U.S. equity markets are slightly lower so far in Friday's trading session, European and Asian markets have done well. Joining TheStreet's Jonathan Marino is London correspondent Laura Board of TheDeal.
Board noted that European indices were trading significantly higher following the trading break for Christmas. She also suggested that positive labor data from the U.S. may have helped as well.
Asian indices were led higher by China, as money market rates fell, temporarily relieving liquidity concerns in the country.
Turning to some M&A chatter, Board suggested that Vodafone (VOD) may be contemplating a bid for British Sky Broadcasting in an attempt to boost its TV content offerings to customers.In the U.S., both Sprint (S) and T-Mobile U.S. (TMUS) continue to move higher, as speculation increases over the latter being acquired by the former. Board added that Sprint may be looking at a price tag of $19 billion for T-Mobile, although she reminded investors that antitrust regulations could be an issue.
Finally, Audi plans to make a big investment as well. However, instead of targeting other companies as potential acquisitions, Audi is investing in itself to the tune of $30 billion. The investment is spread out over the next five years, Board said, and is the biggest in the automaker's history.
It will be used for ramping production from 1.5 million units (in 2013), to 2 million units. She concluded that Audi is looking to fight back against Mercedes-Benz and BMW with new vehicle models and improved technology. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV