NEW YORK (
(AMZN - Get Report) says it has set all sorts of new online shopping records for the 2013 holiday season. On Cyber Monday alone, the retailing giant recorded more than 36.8 million items ordered worldwide which, at its peak, amounts to an amazing 426 items per second.
The company says 2013 was it's best holiday season ever, records more and signed-up more than one million new customers for Amazon Prime - its annual membership/free two-day shipping program.
Shares of Amazon were dropping in mid-morning trading, slipping 1% to $400.42, trimming its 2013 advance to 60%. By comparison, the Standard & Poor's 500 Index
Amazon has released a staggering set of holiday sales statistics including:
- Amazon shipped to 185 countries this holiday season.
- More than half of Amazon customers shopped using a mobile device this holiday.
- The last Prime One-Day Shipping order that was delivered in time for Christmas was placed on Dec. 23 at 10:22 pm PST and shipped to Carlsbad, California. The item was a Beautyrest Cotton Top Mattress Pad.
- The last Local Express Delivery order that was delivered in time for Christmas went to Everett, Washington. It was a Plantronics (PLT) Audio 655 USB Multimedia Headset in ordered at 12:26 pm PST on Christmas Eve and delivered at 3:56 pm PST hat same day.
- Amazon.com shipped enough items with Prime this holiday to deliver at least one gift to every household in America.
- Cyber Monday holiday shopping weekend was the best ever for Kindle Fire tablets and Kindle e-readers.
- Amazon beat its goal for the new Mayday button-the average response time was just 9 seconds on Christmas day.
- The new Microsoft (MSFT) Xbox One and Sony (SNE) PlayStation 4 gaming consoles were so popular that at the peak of sales for each console, customers bought more than 1,000 units per minute.
- Tablets: Kindle Fire HD; Kindle Fire HDX 7"; Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
- TVs: Samsung 32" Smart LED HTDV; Samsung 40" LED HDTV; Samsung 22" Slim LED HDTV
- Laptops: Samsung Chromebook; ASUS Transformer Book; Acer Chromebook
- Cameras: Canon (CAJ) EOS Rebel T3i; Canon PowerShot A2500; Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Film Camera
- Video Games: Call of Duty: Ghosts - Xbox 360; Just Dance 2014 - Nintendo Wii; Grand Theft Auto V - Xbox 360
- Toys: Snap Circuits Jr. SC-100 Kit; Spot It; LEGO Green Building Plate.
Written by Gary Krakow in New York.
To submit a news tip, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts