CHARLOTTE, N.C., Dec. 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Nucor Corporation (NYSE: NUE) announced the successful start-up of production at our direct reduced iron (DRI) facility in St. James Parish, Louisiana. Production of DRI began on Tuesday, December 24, and has continued at planned ramp-up levels since that time. The quality of material being produced in terms of both metallization and carbon content has improved very quickly. Within the first 24 hours of operation, output quality began matching the best-in-class levels we routinely achieve at our DRI plant that has been operating in Trinidad since 2006.
"We are very pleased to announce this important step in executing our raw materials strategy," said John Ferriola, Nucor's President and CEO. "I want to personally thank our team in St. James Parish for their commitment and perseverance working right through the holiday season in achieving this important success."
Nucor and affiliates are manufacturers of steel products, with operating facilities primarily in the U.S. and Canada. Products produced include: carbon and alloy steel -- in bars, beams, sheet and plate; steel piling; steel joists and joist girders; steel deck; fabricated concrete reinforcing steel; cold finished steel; steel fasteners; metal building systems; steel grating and expanded metal; and wire and wire mesh. Nucor, through The David J. Joseph Company, also brokers ferrous and nonferrous metals, pig iron and HBI/DRI; supplies ferro-alloys; and processes ferrous and nonferrous scrap. Nucor is North America's largest recycler.
SOURCE Nucor Corporation
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV