The temptation for the newbie trader in the media-dominated 21st Century is to become what I label as the "Do It for Me" type (DIFM) of trader. The DIFM trader has increased in size to somewhat epidemic proportions in its rate of growth as I sense things. And I do understand the rationale behind the DIFM mentality. That rationale is based on the fact that for many traders they just do not have (or make!) the time to do the homework that is required to survive in today's trading environment. Thus they instead seek out the latest "hot" experts who thanks to an enabling media are thought of as quasi-infallible stock, options and futures trading genii.
Critical for that DIFM path of logic is whether or not the "hot" experts are such and if so, can they continue so. My experience suggests the following: 1) do not confuse brains with a bull market; 2) do not buy into the fear sold to you by the permabears as all things must pass, including bear cycles; 3) never annualize any return; 4) the opposite of "hot" is "cold" which of course averages out to lukewarm; 5) permabears as well as permabulls are mere salesmen, but both are very adept at growing their subscriber totals when their bias is both market and media "hot"; and 6) live by the DIFM credo, die by it too.
If you are in the DIFM category you might want to resolve that in 2014 (if not today!) to alter that situation by becoming a DIY. Try it. You might like it. And OP/TheStreet.com is one very good place to begin that quest!
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV