Semiconductors have been coming to life, yesterday traders turned bullish on
OptionMonster's scanning systems detected the purchase of some 20,000 February 14 calls in volume far above the strike's previous open interest of just 1,965 contracts, clearly showing that new positions were established. The initial blocks priced for $0.64, though premiums at one point traded as high as $1.01.
These calls lock in the price where a stock can be purchased, allowing investors to benefit from a rally without the cost and risk of owning shares. They can also generate significant leverage if there is a decent move in the right direction.
Marvell shares rose 2.53 percent to $13.76 yesterday and are up 90 percent so far this year amid strong quarterly results. The stock pulled back in the last month but is now bouncing above its 50-day moving average, which could make some chart watchers expect the uptrend to continue.
Overall option volume was 2 times greater than average in the name, with calls accounting for a bullish 79 percent of the total.
--By David Russell, who has no positions in MRVL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV