NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Japan's unprecedented monetary stimulus has pushed the yen to record lows while the Nikkei index continues to trend higher.
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's plan to aggressively spend Japan out of its deflationary cycle seems to be working so far. Japan's core CPI number, released Thursday, was 1.2%, which outperformed expectations of 1.1% This means that inflation has surpassed the halfway point of the Bank of Japan's 2% target.
Over the past few months Abe has worked with unions to get an increase in labor pay at the next round of wage negotiations. Increased wages will justify the growth of inflation since the aggressive policy was put in place. The additional cash in consumers' pockets will work in a cyclical fashion, improving spending, which in turn will lead to improved corporate profits.
A major criticism of higher inflation to this point is that it is due primarily to the yen's weakness. The artificial weakening of the currency by the Bank of Japan has made its exports less expensive vs. its foreign competitors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV