NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Several recent news events in December have led me to investigate the prospects of Biodel
(BIOD), a small company with strong proprietary technology in the growing insulin delivery market. The company has had success in recent trials and has several catalysts coming in 2014 that should get investors excited about long-term prospects.
Shares of Biodel are not for the weak; they currently trade around $2 and have seen several double-digit swings throughout trading days. The company is also high-risk with minimal revenue and a cash burn that could see the company issue more shares in 2015. Investors should greatly consider the risks of dilution and possible market failures of the company's drugs before investing. With that being said, I believe the opportunities outweigh the risks and this could present a huge reward for long term shareholders through 2015 or 2016.
Year to date, shares of Biodel are down 3%. Back in August, shares were above $5 and seemed like they could breakout. Shares have now traded in a range of $1.93 to $6.08 over the last 52 weeks. Amazingly enough, shares of Biodel are down 97% since their 2007 IPO. With upcoming catalysts in 2014, shares should breakout of the $2 range.
As for those catalysts, here's the company's Web site: "Biodel's technology facilitates more natural and rapid absorption of recombinant human insulin analogs than current insulin products and appears to improve its therapeutic efficacy in patients with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes." In fact, Biodel is taking on products from two large pharmaceutical companies in Novo Nordisk (NVO) and Eli Lilly (LLY).
The company's pipeline from the site:
- Ultra-rapid-acting prandial insulin RHI based
- Ultra-rapid-acting prandial insulin analog based
- Ultra-rapid-acting concentrated insulin
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV