You Could Buy a Used Electric Car for 15% of Its Price When New
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Hey, have I got a deal for you -- an all-electric car. So long as you buy it used, that is.
A study for USA Today by Kelley Blue Book suggests that all-electric cars such as the Nissan Leaf could experience jaw-dropping depreciation over the first five years.
The 5-year-old Leaf could sell for only about 15% of its original sales price, while a similar Nissan Sentra SL compact, a gasoline-engine vehicle, would retain 36% of its original value.
Other all-electric vehicles such as the Chevrolet Spark EV and Ford Focus Electric are also likely to suffer huge depreciation. In fact, the Leaf, Fiat 500e and Smart Fortwo, all electric cars, topped Kelley's list of 2014 models likely to have the highest depreciation.case for buying a used vehicle. Cars and trucks depreciate very quickly in their first few years, but still have lots of life left in them, so the second or third owner gets a lower cost per mile driven. Of course, plug-ins are very new, and the Kelley Blue Book figures are not backed buy a lengthy track record. It's just too soon to know how well the plug-ins will function as they get older. Clearly, that uncertainty will weigh on the minds of used-car buyers because 5-year-old vehicles don't have the same warranty protections as new ones. All-electric vehicles appeal to only a small subset of drivers -- people who need a vehicle for errands that never take them far from the recharging station in the garage. Many plug-in buyers have another vehicle for long trips. If you're in that subset who can live with a short-range vehicle, a used plug-in might be just the ticket. They're just now starting to show up on used-car lots.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV