How much does all of this cost? Let's say that a Tesla charging station with 10 outlets on site costs a total of $2 million including real estate, construction, etc. Deploying 500 of these locations would be a nice round $1 billion. In the big scheme of automotive competitive investments and marketing spending, that's small potatoes. Tesla could probably raise enough capital to build over 1,000 by 2016.
I mean, even little Tesla will have completed this country-wide investment by 2015 or 2016.
Shouldn't the much larger car companies with far greater resources -- GM, Toyota and VW each sell around nine million cars per year -- feel terribly embarrassed by this? All of them are surely working on their own 200- to 300-mile, pure electric cars for mass production in the 2016-2019 range, but that may simply not be enough to compete effectively with Tesla.
In conclusion: It's not just about the car's range. Once we hit 200 to 300 miles for an all-electric car, it doesn't pay to build a longer-range electric car. It's far more important and efficient to build a fast-charging network instead -- not just 100 miles in 25 minutes, but 150 miles in 20 minutes and faster yet. Tesla is there and is doing it.
If the competition doesn't beat Tesla on this quick-charging metric soon, it will become Tesla's enduring and decisive competitive ace.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV