NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- GE (GE) is reportedly preparing to adopt 3D printing in an effort to speed up repairs and cut manufacturing costs. Shares of GE rose 0.8% to $27.83 on Thursday following a report in the Financial Times.
According to the newspaper, GE and other industrials such as Siemens and EADS are planning to use 3D printing in part to hold down costs. By 2016, GE aims to begin mass producing fuel nozzles for the Leap engine using 3D printing for use in the Boeing (BA) 747 Max and Airbus A320neo. The 3D-printed fuel nozzles are much lighter than traditional parts, and are said to last five times as long.
Current challenges GE and other companies face when making the switch to 3D-printed parts is inventory costs as printing parts takes longer than traditional methods, making more difficult to efficiently produce large quantities of parts.
TheStreet Ratings team rates GENERAL ELECTRIC CO as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate GENERAL ELECTRIC CO (GE) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity, solid stock price performance and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- GENERAL ELECTRIC CO' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GENERAL ELECTRIC CO increased its bottom line by earning $1.38 versus $1.24 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.64 versus $1.38).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Industrial Conglomerates industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, GENERAL ELECTRIC CO has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- GE's share price has surged by 30.03% over the past year, reflecting the market's general trend, despite their weak earnings growth during the last quarter. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- The gross profit margin for GENERAL ELECTRIC CO is rather high; currently it is at 51.58%. Regardless of GE's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 9.02% trails the industry average.
- GE, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.3%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GE Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV