GlaxoSmithKline (NYSE: GSK) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.70%. GlaxoSmithKline plc, together with its subsidiaries, discovers, develops, manufactures, and markets pharmaceutical products, over-the-counter medicines, and health-related consumer products worldwide. The company has a P/E ratio of 15.66. The average volume for GlaxoSmithKline has been 2,434,300 shares per day over the past 30 days. GlaxoSmithKline has a market cap of $126.2 billion and is part of the drugs industry. Shares are up 19.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. TheStreet Ratings rates GlaxoSmithKline as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations, increase in stock price during the past year, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 2.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 1166.38% to $3,647.01 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 30.09%.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- The gross profit margin for GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC is rather high; currently it is at 68.78%. Regardless of GSK's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 14.80% trails the industry average.
- GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC's earnings per share declined by 7.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC reported lower earnings of $2.94 versus $3.21 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.67 versus $2.94).
- You can view the full GlaxoSmithKline Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts