The chart below shows the price action of ETFS Physical Platinum Shares (PPLT) over the past year. The uncertainty over U.S. monetary policy in May spurred a selloff to yearly lows. For the remainder of 2013 the prices have oscillated within a wide range.
PPLT data by YCharts
Platinum has not yet begun to ascend, but the widening deficit and improved economic outlook should correct this. If prices spike higher in 2014, it could ignite a pickup of global inflation. That in turn would cause central banks to more closely monitor their aggressive monetary stimulus policies.
[Read: Job Search Resolutions for the New Year]
At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV