NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The big cloud-computing headline is that we may soon stop using the term. Cloud has become the mainstream of computing, just as e-commerce has become the mainstream of commerce.
Cloud is not an option. Virtual operating systems and infinite scaling, a "barbell" in which the high-end hosts and hand-held device makers crush the computing middle class -- that's the reality for businesses and investors.
The question for 2014 is how many public clouds will survive the coming shakeout.
Amazon.com's (AMZN) vicious price war strategy has given the world's dominant online retailer most of the market, so Google (GOOG) and Microsoft (MSFT) have had to match prices and features. IBM (IBM) is promising "big things" for early next year, but it's unclear whether Big Blue can add any new features to make much of a difference.
If IBM can't make a dent in Amazon's lead, what are the chances for success for Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), AT&T (T), Verizon (VZ), CenturyLink (CTL) or Rackspace (RAX)? With Amazon's infrastructure system becoming an industry standard, same goes for VMware (VMW), Citrix (CTXS) and RedHat (RHT)?(CRM), NetSuite (N) or even Oracle (ORCL), based on Oracle's proprietary services and databases. There are savings, the software all updates together, it's the same inventory, customer management or human relations system as before, so why build a private cloud?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV