Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 5 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Tesoro Logistics (NYSE:TLLP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.30%. Tesoro Logistics LP engages in the ownership, operation, development, and acquisition of logistics assets related to crude oil and refined products in the United States. The company operates in two segments, Crude Oil Gathering; and Terminalling, Transportation, and Storage. The company has a P/E ratio of 29.64.The average volume for Tesoro Logistics has been 354,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Tesoro Logistics has a market cap of $1.6 billion and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 16.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.TheStreet Ratings rates Tesoro Logistics as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity, robust revenue growth, good cash flow from operations, compelling growth in net income and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company is trading at a premium valuation based on our review of its current price compared to such things as earnings and book value.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- When compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, TESORO LOGISTICS LP's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- TLLP's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 113.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income increased by 27.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $16.54 million to $21.05 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 51.45% to $37.40 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, TESORO LOGISTICS LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 1.10%.
- The gross profit margin for TESORO LOGISTICS LP is rather high; currently it is at 57.51%. Regardless of TLLP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TLLP's net profit margin of 22.45% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full Tesoro Logistics Ratings Report.
Latest Headlines about BP
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV