My favorite deep value screening technique, which involves the hunt for net/nets, or companies trading below their net current asset value had some interesting results during 2013. At the end of 2012, there were just seven stocks that qualified as net/nets; an all-time low in my umpteen years of researching and writing on the subject. That group, has had a decent but certainly not great run, considering the overall performance of the markets this year, and are up an average of about 40% year to date.
The best performers were Westell Technologies (WSTL) and Axcelis Technogies (ACLS), which were up 118% and 75% respectively. The worst performers were Imation (IMN), -2%, and Richardson Electronics (RELL),+1%. FormFactor (FORM), +35%, Trans World Entertainment (TWMC), +23%, and RadioShack (RSH), +27% round out the list.
If you thought that the net/net cupboards were bare last year, it's even worse as we end 2013. At this writing, and barring any major upheaval in the markets over the last week of trading for the year, we will enter 2014 with just two net/nets with market caps greater than $100 million.
Both of them are repeats from last year, Richardson Electronics, and Trans World Entertainment. Richardson currently trades for 0.95 times net current asset value, and has a solid balance sheet. The company ended last quarter with $132 million, or just over $9 a share in cash and short-term investments, and no debt. The company is currently profitable, marginally so, but also yields 2.2%. The company is followed by just one analyst, and gets very little attention.
RELL data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV