Bioanalytical Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:BASI) today announced financial results for the fourth quarter and fiscal 2013, highlighted by net income of $252,000, or $0.03 per diluted share, for the fourth quarter and $773,000, or $0.09 per diluted share, for the year. This compares to net losses of $2,696,000, or $0.36 per share and $6,317,000, or $0.88 per share, for the fourth quarter and fiscal 2012.
"While we still have work to do to achieve all of our goals for BASi, we are proud of what we already have accomplished to restore profitability and set the stage for growth in the years ahead," said President & CEO and CFO Jacqueline Lemke.
"In fiscal 2012 we consolidated our laboratories into our headquarters in West Lafayette, closing facilities in Oregon and the UK to reduce operating costs and strengthen our ability to meet clients' needs by improving laboratory utilization. We also implemented personnel reductions and other cost cutting measures in selling, R&D and general and administrative functions. As a result, while revenue for fiscal 2013 decreased 21.8% compared to fiscal 2012 primarily due to the restructuring, gross margin increased from 24.2% to 32.0%, operating expenses declined by a third, and operating income increased to $830,000 for fiscal 2013 compared to an operating loss of $2,491,000 before restructuring charges for fiscal 2012. In addition, BASi generated $1,519,000 in cash from operations for fiscal 2013 versus cash used in operations of $200,000 for fiscal 2012," Lemke said.
As of September 30, 2013, cash and cash equivalents were $1,304,000 as compared to $721,000 at the end of fiscal 2012. The Company recently negotiated an extension of the maturity of the $5,254,000 mortgage on its building in West Lafayette to October 2014, providing the flexibility to continue to explore a refinancing or sale/leaseback or other transaction to deal with this debt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV