Chinese money market rates fell on Monday night as its central bank intervened to avoid a cash crunch.
The key Chinese short term lending rate declined by its largest amount since 2011 as the People's Bank of China held an auction to stop the rate's recent spike. The rise in rates was harmful to the country's economic growth. The news of the decline, however, stabilized financial markets and renewed investor enthusiasm for equities.
The short term rate had more than doubled over the past five days, reaching a high of 8.84%. A threshold of 6% is used as an indicator for the short term rate to gauge market anxiety. When rates did spike above that limit, the PBOC stepped in and held an auction for yuan to cut the rate down to around 5.4%.
Increased rates are harmful to the Chinese economy because it deters business investment and decreases economic growth. This poses a threat to both China, and countries that export resources to China.Under the current structure of the Chinese economy, it consumes large quantities of resources and commodities in order to generate goods and services for developed economies. The effort to decrease rates has, however, had no bearing on the PBOC's long term plan for the economy. (FXA) has been hit hard recently due to the rates rise in China, and the tapering of U.S. stimulus. The increase in Chinese short term rates threatened Chinese growth, which affects Australian exports. Australia is one of the largest exporters of commodities to the region, and is hurt when industrial production falls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV