Here are 10 things you should know for Thursday, Jan. 2:
1.-- U.S. stock futures were scheduled to begin trading at 6 a.m. EST on Thursday. Global stock markets were mixed Thursday amid weaker Chinese manufacturing data.
European stocks were trading higher. China's benchmark Shanghai Composite Index closed down by 0.3%. Japanese markets were closed for a holiday.
2.-- The economic calendar in the U.S. Thursday includes weekly initial jobless claims at 8:30 a.m. EST, construction spending for November at 10 a.m., and the ISM Index for December at 10 a.m.
3.-- U.S. stocks rose on Tuesday, the last day of 2013, a year in which the S&P 500 soared 29.6%, the most since 1997.
The S&P 500 closed up 0.4% to finish 1,848.36. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.44% to 16,576.66. The Nasdaq added 0.54% to 4,176.59. The Dow surged 28.1% and the Nasdaq jumped 41.1% in 2013.The market was closed Wednesday for the New Year's Day holiday. 4.-- Fiat, the Italian automaker, reached a deal with the United Auto Workers union trust fund to buy the remaining shares of Chrysler for $3.65 billion. Fiat already owns 58.5% of Chrysler's shares; the remaining 41.5% is held by the fund, which pays health care bills for retirees. Fiat will make an initial payment of $1.9 billion to the fund, plus an additional $1.75 billion upon closing the deal, according to The Associated Press.
"The unified ownership structure will now allow us to fully execute our vision of creating a global automaker that is truly unique in terms of mix of experience, perspective and know-how, a solid and open organization," Sergio Marchionne, CEO of both Fiat and Chrysler, said in a statement.
The deal, which is expected to close on or before Jan. 20, eliminates the need for an initial public offering of the union fund's stake.
5.-- Motorola Mobility, a unit of Google (GOOG), slashed the price of its flagship Moto X smartphone with 16 gigabytes of memory to a permanent $399 without a wireless contract for U.S. customers, from $550.
the firm said late on Wednesday on China's Twitter-like Weibo. The Shandong Food and Drug Administration earlier said the product contained fox meat. 8.-- Online usernames and partial phone numbers of 4.6 million users of Snapchat have been posted online. Web site SnapchatDB.info has made the information available for download, according to TechCrunch.
SnapchatDB told TechCrunch it got the information through a recently identified and patched Snapchat exploit and that it is making the data available in an effort to convince the messaging app to beef up its security.
9.-- The Syrian Electronic Army, the hacker collective, claimed credit on Wednesday for hacking into the social media accounts of Skype, which is owned by Microsoft (MSFT). Reuters reported the group also posted the contact information of Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's retiring CEO, on its Twitter account along with the message, "You can thank Microsoft for monitoring your accounts/emails using this details. #SEA" 10.-- Landec (LNDC), the materials science company, is expected by Wall Street on Thursday to report fiscal second-quarter earnings of 13 cents a share.
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV