BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas -- not because there's snow on the ground or because trees are lit, but because Wall Street trading desks are running on a skeleton crew this week.
Typically, the Christmas week is a quiet one for investors. With a truncated trading week for the holidays and more folks taking vacation time than taking new trading positions, this week tends to sport low volume and low volatility. It also tends to sport upward mobility in the form of a "Santa Claus Rally," the end-of-year pop that stocks often get between Christmas and New Year's.
If there's ever a year to end on a strong note, it's 2013. The venerable S&P 500 Index is up a staggering 27.5% year-to-date heading into this week, and the big index is showing some serious signs of strength this morning too.To take full advantage, we're taking a closer look at five Rocket Stocks worth buying. >>5 Dividend Stocks Ready to Pay You More For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 228 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 85.99%. Without further ado, heres a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV