DaVita®, a division of DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc. (NYSE: DVA) and a leading provider of kidney care services, today announced progress toward its corporate environmental goals for U.S. operations. DaVita aims to accomplish each of its five goals by the end of 2015.
“One of the pillars in DaVita’s Trilogy of Care is caring for our world,” said Kent Thiry, co-chairman and CEO of DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc. “By their nature, dialysis operations use a large amount of resources. We aim to reduce our environmental footprint while continuously improving the care provided to dialysis patients each day.”
DaVita’s U.S. environmental goals are guided by quantifiable 2010 year-end data. The purpose of creating these goals is to reduce DaVita’s environmental impact without compromising patient care, while also positioning DaVita to be a proven leader in sustainable health care.
As of December 2013, DaVita is pleased to report the following progress on its environmental goals:
- GOAL: Reduce energy consumption by 15 percent per treatmentProgress: DaVita has reduced energy consumption by nine percent per treatment since 2010. To reach this reduction, DaVita ensures equipment is running at its full efficiency, operates 11 centers in the Northeast that use energy management systems to reduce energy consumption, and has piloted using a water microturbine to generate energy at locations in California.
- GOAL: Reduce water consumption by 10 percent per treatmentProgress: DaVita has driven a 14 percent reduction in water usage, projecting a savings of 400 million gallons of water per year due to operational changes.
- GOAL: Reduce office paper consumption by 20 percentProgress: DaVita has implemented paper reduction programs such as transitioning from paper to electronic policy and procedures documents and implementing print-to-PDF capabilities. DaVita has new programs in place for 2014, such as piloting managed print systems, to place a larger focus on driving down overall paper use in 2014.
- GOAL: Increase teammate awareness/education by implementing one new sustainability program a yearProgress: On average, DaVita has developed three new education programs per year for its teammates since developing these environmental goals. Programs include cell phone and toner recycling and empowering 800 “green champions” at DaVita centers and business offices across the country to ensure a clinic-level focus on sustainability.
- GOAL: Increase environmentally preferable procurement by 10 percentProgress: To date, DaVita has increased its environmentally preferable procurement by seven percent by forming various partnerships with vendors and focusing on selecting environmentally friendly products when available.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV