The tech giant might seek someone who will cut costs and personnel, among other moves, while improving efficiency to increase profits and margins. That's fine but eventually it will be a losing strategy.
That's because complacency is the centerpiece of this strategy, one that BlackBerry (BBRY) used very well just several years ago -- but look at where it is now.
There's nothing wrong with increasing margins and becoming a more efficient company -- but by sitting back and playing defense, someone's going to eat MSFT's lunch eventually. That someone will probably be Google (GOOG) or Apple (AAPL) or both.
MSFT should worry about growing revenue and the person who will be at the helm to grow them.To do that, I think Microsoft should buy Salesforce.com (CRM). Madness, perhaps. But consider the acquisition would bring Marc Benioff, the CEO of Salesforce.com.
This man is on a mission to end software as we know it and his company sits atop the rapidly growing cloud industry. MSFT could use CRM to drive the top line while perfectly integrating it into its own enterprise business, which is something end-users would love to see. It could also provide a boost to MSFT's tablet and smartphone products, especially for the type of people who want them for work, not play.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV