ELGIN, Ill., Dec. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Nuts from more than 700 recipe submissions were chopped, diced and halved with a clear winner rising to the top. Fisher® Nuts and Iron Chef Alex Guarnaschelli have announced the winner of the first-ever "My Fresh Twist" Recipe contest – a Walnut-Bleu Date Vinaigrette Salad, submitted by Lori McLain from Denton, Texas.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/63056-fisher-nuts-alex-guarnaschelli-my-fresh-twist-recipe-contest-winner
Fisher invited consumers from across the U.S. to submit an original recipe featuring nuts at www.myfreshtwist.com for a chance to win a grand prize trip for two to New York City to meet Iron Chef Alex Guarnaschelli. Fisher fans voted to select the top ten finalists from more than 700 recipe submissions, and from there the winning recipe was selected by a panel of judges, including Chef Guarnaschelli.Recipe submissions were judged on their originality, integration of nuts, taste and visual appeal. "This salad is deceptively simple. It's really built around the walnuts instead of just having walnuts in it," said Guarnaschelli. "The pureed dates in the dressing are a brilliant way to add body and some deep, dried fruit sweetness to a salad dressing. This dressing bolsters the fresh fruit. It leaves the richness and satisfaction factor of this salad in the hands of the walnuts. The salty cheese ties it together, and I really enjoyed the textures and flavors. It's very creative and easy to make - my kind of recipe!" "I watched my mom and grandma cook up traditional comfort foods. We had a lot of dishes made with nut meats and dried fruits. I am especially fond of walnuts and dates and find any chance to experiment with them," said the grand prize winner, Lori McLain. "My salad was inspired by my simple cravings! I love toasting Fisher Nuts to get extra flavor, and then just added a few of my other favorites into the mix." For more information, visit www.myfreshtwist.com. Walnut-Bleu Date Vinaigrette Recipe: Ingredients
Sesame Date Vinaigrette:
- 6 pitted Dates
- 3 T sesame oil
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 C rice vinegar
- 1 T minced garlic
- 2 T honey
- 1/4 tsp. coarse Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 6 dates , finely chopped
- 2/3 C chopped Fisher walnuts
- 1 T honey
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 6-7 Cups mixed salad greens of your choice, I used a spring mix with radicchio and romaine included.
- 1/2 pint halved yellow cherub tomatoes
- 1/2 C crisp Asian pear, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 oz. chopped bleu cheese
- In a small food processor or chopper, place dressing ingredients: 6 dates, sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, honey, coarse mustard, salt and pepper. Blend together until smooth. Place mixture in the fridge while the rest of the salad is prepared.
- Place topping ingredients in a medium skillet and stir together over medium high heat until toasted and sticky. Transfer to a cool cookie sheet and spread out to cool.
- Divide salad greens between two large salad plates or 4 small ones. Top with tomatoes and pears. Divide bleu cheese crumbled over the top of each salad. Top each with cooled topping mixture. Drizzle salads with sesame date vinaigrette.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV