Nevertheless, Alaska shares have been declining in the two-and-a-half weeks since a leading airline analyst cut his rating to sell from hold, based on the mounting competition with the world's third-largest carrier. Shares gained $2.93 on Friday to close at $73.50, apparently due to speculation that Delta or someone else might seek to acquire Alaska.
For the present, Delta is on the offensive in Seattle, and Alaska -- which said regularly that it wants to remain independent -- is battling back. Delta on Tuesday announced new Seattle destinations that include Juneau, which will become its third destination in Alaska, complimenting Anchorage and Fairbanks. Alaska responded quickly, adding service in Salt Lake City.
Alaska also said last week that it has signed a deal with Russell Wilson, the Seattle Seahawks quarterback. who will take part in marketing activities, appear at events and work with the carrier to support youth and education programs. The airline termed Wilson's job CFO, or chief football officer.
The Wilson deal shows just how tough it is to compete with Delta. Wilson plays for a team that signed a deal in September to make Delta its official sponsor, to rename the club seating level the Delta Sky360Club and to provide various Delta signs and branding throughout CenturyLink Field.
The field, incidentally, is named for the third-largest U.S. telecommunications company, which is based in Monroe, La., which was Delta's headquarters from 1925 to 1941.
Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
To contact this writer, click here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV