Red Hat's sales mix consisted of 35% direct sales, with 65% of sales coming from reseller channels. Services continues to grow and increased 10% year over year. Red Hat's model of creating enterprise solutions from relatively free Linux demonstrates how competitive Red Hat is.
I am bullish with Microsoft (MSFT) also, but from a technical analysis review, Red Hat is set to continue higher. The clear break above the widely followed moving averages places the chart into a bullish trend once again. I wouldn't try to chase it, however. A pullback into the $52 to $54 range will give you a much better risk-to-reward ratio in my opinion.
The company doesn't pay a dividend, so consider selling a put option as your vehicle of entry. You will have less risk, and if the shares don't appreciate from the current levels you still have an opportunity to profit. I like the March expiration $50 strike put options before the end of the year if I can sell them for $1.25 or higher during a retracement after today.
I also like the January $60 calls for $1.20 or higher as a covered call for current shareholders. There isn't a lot of time until expiration, and if the stock continues to appreciate your effective sale price is $61.20.
I think the time decay outweighs the potential to miss out on continued gains in such a short time period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV