NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Red Hat (RHT) shareholders started this year's holiday celebrations early after the $9 billion Internet software company released spectacular third-quarter results.
Shares rocketed over 14% by early pre-market trading on Friday as a result of investor enthusiasm created when the bottom line income increased over 40% from the same period last year. RHT is currently up about 19% to over $58.
Oracle (ORCL) may have opened the window curtain slightly and provided Wall Street with an idea of what to expect. After the database delivered impressive results, shares of Red Hat climbed and breached the 200-day moving average. After Friday, Red Hat is once again in a bullish trend that may provide you profits, but let's look at the numbers.
Red Hat generated 27 cents per share ($52 million) income, an increase of 9 cents per share or $17 million compared to 18 cents, or $35 million, a year ago. Revenue was $396.5 million, an increase of 15%.
According to CEO James Whitehurst during the conference call, European corporate and U.S. government sales were significant catalysts for sales and income growth. Whitehurst highlighted Red Hat currently has a server operating system market share of 10% based on revenue and believes they are positioned to capture more.The company said 55% of bookings come from North and South America, a decline of 5% last year. Asia was also slightly lower with 16% of bookings, a decline of 1%. Europe and Africa were the big gainers with a combined 29%, up from 23%. Africa's overall economic growth is something to pay attention to.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV