ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: ARIA) today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved revised U.S. Prescribing Information (USPI) and a Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS) for Iclusig ® (ponatinib) that allows immediate resumption of its marketing and commercial distribution. The USPI includes a revised indication statement and boxed warning, updated safety information and recommendations regarding dosing considerations for prescribers.
ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, Inc., based in Cambridge, MA (Photo: Business Wire)
Iclusig is now indicated for the treatment of adult patients with:
- T315I-positive chronic myeloid leukemia (chronic phase, accelerated phase, or blast phase) or T315I-positive Philadelphia chromosome positive (Ph+) acute lymphoblastic leukemia, and
- Chronic phase, accelerated phase, or blast phase chronic myeloid leukemia or Ph+ acute lymphoblastic leukemia for whom no other tyrosine-kinase inhibitor therapy is indicated.
The FDA granted approval of the revised USPI based on its review of the Iclusig clinical-trial data, including 24-month follow up of the pivotal PACE trial. The boxed warning has been revised to alert patients and healthcare professionals to the risk of vascular occlusive events and includes a new warning for heart failure. The starting dose of Iclusig remains 45 mg daily.
“In less than two months of suspending marketing and commercial distribution of Iclusig in the U.S., we addressed the issues raised by the FDA and now are able to market and distribute Iclusig again in the U.S.,” stated Harvey J. Berger, M.D. chairman and chief executive officer of ARIAD. “As we look ahead to re-launching Iclusig in the U.S. and fulfilling our post-marketing requirements, we will continue to focus on understanding the benefits and risks of Iclusig treatment in patients with resistant or intolerant Philadelphia-positive leukemias.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV