Stocks Confirm 'Santa Claus' Rally With Best Week Since October
The Commerce Department reported that third-quarter 2013 gross domestic product grew 4.1% year-over-year, a bump higher from a previous reading of 3.6%, and as personal consumption increased 2%. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected a 3.6% gain.
"It's an endorsement that the economy is stronger," Randy Frederick, managing director of active trading and derivatives at Charles Schwab, said in a phone interview from Austin, Texas. "The reaction that we got on Wednesday and the follow through [Friday] ... confirms that."
- The S&P 500 gained 0.49% to 1,818.55, the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.26% to 16,221.72 and the Nasdaq climbed 1.15% to 4,104.74.
- Major indices posted weekly gains as increasing confidence in underlying economic strength was punctuated by the Fed's plan of $10 billion tapering of economic stimulus starting in January.
- Scorecard for the week: S&P 500 gained 2.44%, the Dow increased 2.96% and the Nasdaq climbed 2.59%.
- Smartphone maker BlackBerry (BBRY) reported a third-quarter net loss of 67 cents a share, compared to analysts' expectations of a loss of 43 cents a share. Revenue of $1.2 billion missed consensus by $460 million. Still, details of a new deal with Foxconn inspired hope the company could turn itself around. Shares surged 15.7% to $7.23.
- Walgreen (WAG) recorded first-quarter earnings of 7 cents a share, in line with analysts' expectations. Revenue of $18.3 billion was 5.9% higher than the year-ago quarter. Shares popped 3.8% to $59.08.
- S&P Winner and Loser: Textron (TXT) surged 14.5% to $37.28, while CarMax (KMX) tumbled 9.4% to $48.07.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV