SYDNEY, Dec. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Novogen Limited, an oncology drug development company, announced today the signing of a Sponsored Research Agreement with Cornell University. The Weill Cornell Medical College (WCMC) in New York will become the cornerstone of a collaboration across Europe, US, Asia and Australia involving universities and biotechnology companies seeking a treatment capable of delivering long-term remission for the main form of primary brain cancer, glioblastoma multiforme (GBM).
The research program is focused on the super-benzopyran drug, Trilexium (Trx).
The brain cancer program parallels that of the Company's efforts in the area of ovarian cancer through its joint venture, CanTx Inc, with Yale University.CanTx has identified a Trilexium derivative (Trx-1) as having equipotent killing ability of both ovarian cancer stem cells and ovarian cancer somatic cells, raising the prospect for the first time of being able with the one agent to kill the full hierarchy of cells within an ovarian cancer. The CanTx strategy is to bring Trx-1 into the clinic in the near-term as a generic treatment for late-stage ovarian cancer, but then to use the Trx pharmacophore to create a panel of drugs capable of killing ovarian cancer cells with specific genotypes, a further unique feature of this technology platform. The brain cancer program has the same R&D and commercial objectives. The near-term goal is to bring Trilexium into the clinic as a generic treatment for GBM that has failed to respond to Temozolomide, the only drug approved for GBM. The longer-term goal is to identify a panel of drugs capable of providing a personalized approach to GBM chemotherapy. The program is based on the high potency of Trilexium against GBM cells, with both GBM stem cells and somatic cells being killed at equivalent dosages.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV