BEDMINSTER, N.J. and DUBLIN, Ireland, Dec. 20, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Amarin Corporation plc (Nasdaq:AMRN), a biopharmaceutical company focused on the commercialization and development of therapeutics to improve cardiovascular health, announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) notified the company last night that the FDA does not expect to take action on Amarin's supplemental new drug application (sNDA) for the proposed ANCHOR indication labeling expansion for Vascepa ® (icosapent ethyl) capsules on the December 20, 2013 Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) goal date because Amarin's request to re-instate the ANCHOR Special Protocol Assessment (SPA) agreement remains under consideration with the FDA. No new PDUFA date was established.
The FDA also communicated to Amarin that it now views Amarin's appeal of the ANCHOR SPA agreement rescission and the ANCHOR sNDA as separate administrative decisions worthy of separate consideration. FDA plans to complete its review of Amarin's request to re-instate the ANCHOR SPA agreement and plans to convey its decision to Amarin no later than January 15, 2014. The FDA provided no additional information on when it expects to complete its review of the ANCHOR sNDA.
Vascepa is currently FDA approved for use as an adjunct to diet to reduce triglyceride levels in adult patients with severe (≥500 mg/dL) hypertriglyceridemia. The ANCHOR sNDA seeks approval of Vascepa for use as an adjunct to diet and exercise for adult patients on statin therapy with mixed dyslipidemia (one or more lipid disorder) and triglyceride levels between 200 and 499 mg/dL.Amarin plans to continue to work with the FDA to pursue reinstatement of the ANCHOR SPA agreement and approval of the ANCHOR sNDA. There can be no assurance that Amarin will be successful in this effort. About Vascepa ® (icosapent ethyl) capsules Vascepa ® (icosapent ethyl) capsules, known in scientific literature as AMR101, is a highly pure-EPA omega-3 prescription product in a 1 gram capsule. Indications and Usage
- Vascepa (icosapent ethyl) is indicated as an adjunct to diet to reduce triglyceride (TG) levels in adult patients with severe (≥500 mg/dL) hypertriglyceridemia.
- The effect of Vascepa on the risk for pancreatitis and cardiovascular mortality and morbidity in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia has not been determined.
- Vascepa is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity (e.g., anaphylactic reaction) to Vascepa or any of its components and should be used with caution in patients with known hypersensitivity to fish and/or shellfish.
- The most common reported adverse reaction (incidence > 2% and greater than placebo) was arthralgia (2.3% for Vascepa, 1.0% for placebo).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV