It goes without saying that you won't get many deals in Sochi from Feb. 7-23, but the Winter Olympics have little bearing on a country whose light season stretches all winter long.
SmarterTravel found round-trip flights from Boston to Moscow in January on Aeroflot for $749. Boston to St. Petersburg on the same airline, meanwhile, goes for $775 round-trip in March. Even the most affordable summer airfares to Russia don't tend to drop below $1,000, with last year's summer low hitting $1,189 for a round-trip ticket from Detroit to Moscow on Lufthansa.Russia knows people think of its winters and envision snow and cold that can defeat armies. It's why the Russian Ministry of Culture is allowing visitors from select countries -- including the U.S. -- to visit parts of Russia for up to 72 hours this winter without a visa. If you're already in Europe, you jet over to Russia on a major Russian airline without going through the visa application process. It seems the least that a country known for its punishing winters can do, but it's a win for all involved. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV