SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) today provided state regulators with its comprehensive proposal for 2015-17 to continue maintaining and modernizing its approximately 6,750 miles of gas transmission pipelines and extensive storage facilities, which serve more than 4.4 million customers over an area of 70,000 square miles.
The plan expands on the utility's current program to comprehensively test, inspect, and upgrade the safety of its gas infrastructure. It will help meet some of the toughest new state safety standards in the country, now required of all California gas pipeline operators.
"Our plan to invest in 21 st century infrastructure will serve customers by helping PG&E become one of the safest and most reliable gas utilities in the country," said Nick Stavropoulos, Executive Vice President of PG&E for Gas Operations. "Our detailed filing identifies the risks, sets clear priorities, and lays out the work that needs to be done to modernize our system to meet some of the strictest safety standards in the nation."
PG&E's proposal includes detailed plans to:
- Replace vintage pipelines that could be at risk from land movements
- Continue testing pipelines to verify safe operating pressures
- Continue controlling corrosion to avoid underground leaks
- Install more automated and remotely operated safety valves to quickly turn off gas in case of an emergency
- Inspect the interior of more pipelines to detect and repair hidden flaws
- Strengthen levee and water crossings
- Maintain underground gas storage facilities that help meet demand on cold days
- Modernize infrastructure control systems, databases, and risk analysis programs
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV