The video this transcript is based on appeared on December 19.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Gary Krakow loves the new Nexus 5 Android smartphone but has some questions about the design.
It's the latest, top-of-the-line pure Google Android phone - the Nexus 5 - made by LG. It was the first to run the purest of pure Android operating systems, in this case the new Android 4.4 KitKat.
The handset is beautifully thin and lightweight - somewhat deceptively hiding its real dimensions. The Nexus 5 has a big 5-inch high definition screen, 2 gigs of memory, a fast Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor and weighs a scant 4.6 ounces. Like all previous Nexus phones there is no bloatware, just the Android operating system and nothing else. So it's fast and smooth. The 5 lives up to the Nexus name.
I also found a few things I didn't like - the 8 megapixel camera sometimes had problems focusing. An update being pushed out this week should help. Some games seem to run slower on Snapdragon processors and the Nexus 5 is no exception. And the volume control rocker switch is on the bottom when you hold the phone in the landscape mode. I constantly tuned down the sound inadvertently. It's sometimes easy to block the small speaker port on the bottom and the volume needs all the help it can get.
The Nexus 5 is available from Best Buy, Radio Shack, T-Mobile, Sprint and the Google Website for an unsubsidized price of $349 to $399.
Written by Gary Krakow in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV