Regulators back Whitehall gold mine expansion
By MATTHEW BROWN
BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) a¿¿ Montana environmental regulators said Friday they are backing a Canadian company's plans to expand a 200-worker gold mine near Whitehall that has been hard-hit by dropping gold prices.
After studying the company's expansion plans over the past year, state officials released a proposed permit change that would allow one new mining pit and expand another at the Golden Sunlight Mine.
Approval would allow the mining to continue to 2017. Without it, the mine owned by Barrick Gold Corp. of Canada is expected to cease operations in 2015.Department of Environmental Quality Director Tracy Stone-Manning said conditions attached to the agency's permit recommendations will make sure that polluted water from mining is captured and treated. The agency considered but rejected an alternative plan that called for backfilling the new "North Area" mining pit. Stone-Manning said filling the pit would have eliminated the option to use it as a backup system to capture seeping wastewater, in case the primary water collection system failed. Leaving the pit exposed also allows access to that main system should it need to be fixed, she said. "We not only immediately see if they are failing, we can capture it before it causes harm," she said. Barrick's original proposal also called for leaving the North Pit open. New mining would occur on 68 acres and produce almost 53 million tons of waste rock. Thursday's decision requires Barrick to craft a plan to use the wall of the new mine pit for bat and raptor habitat should the permit be approved. The company also must put a ground movement monitoring system in place to ensure safe access to the pit. Barrick spokesman Lou Schack said the DEQ's additional requirements would add value to the project. In 2012, Golden Sunlight produced 98,000 ounces of gold.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV