ANNAPOLIS, Md., Dec. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC) hosted a group of 25 Annapolis High School students recently with the goal of sparking their interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) by teaching them how to build an AM radio.
Photos accompanying this release are available at: http://media.globenewswire.com/noc/mediagallery.html?pkgid=22776The event was held in the Northrop Grumman Undersea Systems business unit's Ocean Innovation Center (OceanIC) at the Annapolis campus. OceanIC includes a purpose-built STEM lab for education outreach. Inside the STEM lab, company engineers kicked off the day by educating students on radio frequency, electromagnetic waves and details of how a radio operates. Next, students were given a kit of individual parts, instructions and tools to build a radio from scratch. The STEM radio project was designed and developed by Northrop Grumman engineer Jim Windgassen, a founding member of the Undersea Systems STEM group. Company engineers, working with Annapolis High School teachers, provided the mentoring and guidance to help students be successful. Students finalized their projects and tested their work, which resulted in them taking home a working AM radio. "The work we do with the students in this STEM lab is very rewarding," said Alan Lytle, director, business development and OceanIC executive sponsor of the STEM lab. "Our engineers are passionate about helping students learn engineering concepts, and realizing they can choose a path that leads to a career in a STEM field." Northrop Grumman's STEM lab provides the look and feel of a small business start-up environment to support open collaboration on STEM projects. The lab is the primary venue for many community outreach activities for local K-12 education partners, as well as the company's High School Involvement Partnership program.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV