Leiden, The Netherlands, Dec. 19, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Prosensa Holding N.V. (NASDAQ: RNA), the Dutch biopharmaceutical company focusing on RNA-modulating therapeutics for rare diseases with high unmet need, commented on a recent update by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) to patient groups and investigators regarding the ongoing analyses for drisapersen, an investigational antisense oligonucleotide, for the treatment of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) patients with an amenable mutation, which is exclusively licensed to GSK.
On September 20, GSK and Prosensa announced that results of a Phase III study (DMD114044) of drisapersen in boys with DMD did not meet the primary endpoint. At that time, together with Prosensa, GSK began to evaluate the results in the context of the overall clinical program in addition to performing additional analyses to fully understand the results of this study.
Earlier today, GSK provided an update to patient groups and investigators that the analysis of the results and assessment of next steps are still ongoing. The outcome of this evaluation is anticipated in early 2014. In addition, as publicly announced at the recent PPMD Duchenne Policy Forum, the US Food and Drug Administration is currently looking at the drisapersen data, in part to understand clinical and biomarker endpoints. In the meantime, GSK has stated that as per their policy, the summary results of the DMD114044 study will be posted on GSK's Clinical Study Register.Prosensa's Chief Executive Officer, Hans Schikan, comments, "Given the devastating impact of DMD on boys and their families, it is of critical importance that this robust dataset is understood in its entirety and no stone is left unturned." Schikan continued, "The drisapersen program represents one of the largest datasets in this disease to date, and we continue to collaborate with patient groups and other key stakeholders to help patients with DMD."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV