But if the market is right and oil is tame, I think you'll easily be able to buy the airlines, which have also stalled out. We now have the completion of the American Airlines-U.S. Airways deal, and so many are basically saying, "OK, that trade is done." But I come back and say this: If you think oil isn't going up, but is going to stabilize, and that the economy is going getting stronger, then we are going to see fare increases and more filled seats. That means more money for American as well as Delta (DAL) , my two favorites.
You can't have it both ways. Either oil's not going higher and the airlines are flying high, or oil is going higher and the special situations that are American and Delta will be able to handle the increases without much trouble. But airlines are acting as if oil's about to go up, and the independent oils are acting as if oil is coming down.
Someone's going to be right.
Maybe both.So we have banks, housing, retail, airlines and oil: the recent laggards that anyone can justify buying even after yesterday's remarkable rally. Those are the places to be. At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, was long GOOG, CAT, GE, AAPL, BAC, M, NBL and NOV. Editor's Note: This article was originally published at 8:15 a.m. EST on Real Money on Dec. 19.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV