5 Spots for Really Last-Minute Christmas Shopping
PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- Rejoice, procrastinators: You have a whole calendar to blame for your last-minute pickups this year.
A late Thanksgiving put six fewer days between that holiday and Christmas this year than in 2012. That put the crunch on anyone holding to the priciple that holiday shopping shouldn't start until after Thanksgiving dinner hits the table, but leaves no excuse for just about anyone else.
Christmas decorations were being sold in department stores and home-and-garden chains in September. By October, candy canes had appeared in supermarkets and retailers held their first sales. In November, shoppers were in Target, Wal-Mart and other stores as early as Thanksgiving night taking advantage of holiday sales. If shoppers bypassed Cyber Monday, Green Monday and Free Shipping Day and waited until today or later to shop, we can't say that was a great move. We can only say they're in good company.
According to a Consumer Reports survey of holiday shoppers in early December, 64% of consumers felt they had holiday shopping under control. A full 31% of people shopping for Christmas hadn't even started by that time. While there are some folks who hold off on gift exchanges until just after Christmas, New Year's or the Feast of the Epiphany -- the traditional end of the 12 days of Christmas on the Christian calendar -- there are others who just had the days pass a little too quickly for their liking this year.It happens. But don't worry. There are still ways for procrastinators to finish up their holiday shopping today or even tomorrow. We took one last look around the pre-holiday landscape and found five options for the most desperate holiday shoppers. Everyone else can sit and mock these options from their smug, satisfied position fortified by wrapped presents and stuffed stockings:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV