The Minneapolis-based retailer confirmed on Thursday that it was aware of "unauthorized access" to payment card data that "may have impacted certain guests making credit and debit card purchases in its U.S. stores."
Approximately 40 million credit and debit card accounts may have been affected between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15, 2013, the company disclosed. Purchases made on Target.com or in its Canada stores were not affected, the company said.
"We have determined that the information involved in this incident included customer name, credit or debit card number, and the card's expiration date and CVV (the three-digit security code)," the company said on its Web site Thursday.Target is working closely with law enforcement and financial institutions, and has identified and resolved the issue, it said. Target provided more information on its Web site. "Target's first priority is preserving the trust of our guests and we have moved swiftly to address this issue, so guests can shop with confidence. We regret any inconvenience this may cause," Chairman and CEO Gregg Steinhafel said in a statement "We take this matter very seriously and are working with law enforcement to bring those responsible to justice."
Target shares were falling 2% to $62.25 on Thursday. Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV