DaVita®, a division of DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc. (NYSE: DVA) and a leading provider of kidney care services, today announced important emergency preparedness information for dialysis patients during the winter season. DaVita is reminding patients and their families to prepare for weather-related emergencies by creating medication and emergency diet kits.
“Dialysis is quite simply a life-sustaining treatment, and a weather-related emergency can negatively impact a patient’s ability to receive that treatment,” said Shaun Collard, vice president of clinical operations at DaVita and member of the DaVita Village Emergency Response Team, DaVERT. “But there are several steps patients can take to make sure that in an emergency situation they can receive the treatment they need, or at the very least, lessen the impact of missing a dialysis session.”
Dialysis patients require treatments at least three times per week and are at high risk during natural disasters and weather-related emergencies. DaVita recommends patients create an easily accessible emergency kit that includes the following:
- Emergency phone numbers for doctors and their dialysis center, as well as another nearby dialysis center;
- At least three days worth of medications with a list of the dosage amounts;
- Clean water, food and a can opener;
- First aid supplies;
- A battery-operated flashlight and radio; and
- If diabetic, a week’s worth of related medical supplies.
For short-term emergencies such as snow and ice buildup, patients should follow their regular diet closely for one to two days. When a widespread emergency or disaster happens, patients are encouraged to begin a three-day emergency diet immediately to limit the amount of fluid and waste their body accumulates. DaVita also recommends that patients keep a copy of the diet with emergency supplies as a guide.Visit DaVita.com to see the full three-day emergency diet and additional emergency preparedness information, including:
- Emergency preparedness for people with kidney disease
- Preparing for the unexpected with home dialysis
- Diabetes Emergency Plan
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts