Hedging Activities – This language primarily relates to operations other than the company’s milling operations.
Hedge gains and losses are aggregated, and net amounts are reclassified from unallocated Corporate expense to the operating segments when the underlying commodity or foreign currency being hedged is expensed in segment cost of goods sold. The net of these activities resulted in $9 million of unfavorable impact in the current quarter and $16 million of unfavorable impact in the year-ago period. The company identifies these amounts as items impacting comparability.
- Unallocated Corporate amounts were $106 million of expense in the current quarter and $91 million of expense in the year-ago period. Current-quarter amounts include $9 million of unfavorable hedge-related impact and $29 million of net expense from other items impacting comparability (details starting on page 8 of this release). Year-ago period amounts include $16 million of unfavorable hedge-related impact and $10 million of expense related to other items impacting comparability. Excluding these amounts, unallocated Corporate expense was $68 million for the current quarter and $65 million in the year-ago period.
- Equity method investment earnings were $5 million for the current quarter and $13 million in the year-ago period; the year-over-year decline reflects a $3 million pension adjustment (identified as an item impacting comparability), as well as difficult market conditions for a European potato joint venture.
- Net interest expense was $95 million in the current quarter and $53 million in the year-ago period; the increase reflects the incremental interest related to the debt incurred to fund acquisitions, principally Ralcorp.
- Dividends for the current quarter totaled $106 million versus $97 million in the year-ago period, reflecting an increase in shares outstanding.
- The company repurchased approximately 2 million shares of common stock during the quarter for approximately $69 million.
- For the current quarter, capital expenditures for property, plant and equipment were $151 million, compared with $81 million in the year-ago period; approximately $28 million of the increase relates to Ralcorp. The comparable increase reflects several significant planned plant expansions and improvements. Depreciation and amortization expense was approximately $146 million for the fiscal second quarter; this compares with a total of $94 million in the year-ago period. Approximately $48 million of the increase in depreciation and amortization relates to Ralcorp.
- The company is currently preparing for the formation of Ardent Mills, a joint venture into which the company expects to contribute its milling operations. The details of that transaction, which is now expected to close in the first quarter of calendar 2014, were announced on March 5, 2013. While the company expects approximately $0.03 of EPS dilution this fiscal year, as previously discussed, due to the formation of the venture, over the long term, the venture’s profit growth is expected to be accretive to ConAgra Foods’ EPS.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV