Trade-Ideas: United States Steel Corporation (X) Is Today's Post-Market Leader Stock
- X has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $164.4 million.
- X is up 2.3% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in X with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for X NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on X: United States Steel Corporation produces and sells steel mill products in North America and Europe. The company operates in three segments: Flat-Rolled Products (Flat-Rolled), U. S. Steel Europe (USSE), and Tubular Products (Tubular). The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.7%. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate United States Steel Corporation a buy, 3 analysts rate it a sell, and 7 rate it a hold. The average volume for United States Steel Corporation has been 7.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. United States has a market cap of $3.9 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. The stock has a beta of 2.05 and a short float of 24.1% with 5.88 days to cover. Shares are up 13.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates United States Steel Corporation as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- UNITED STATES STEEL CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, UNITED STATES STEEL CORP reported poor results of -$0.97 versus -$0.59 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 31.4% in earnings (-$1.28 versus -$0.97).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 4170.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $44.00 million to -$1,791.00 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.22 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, X maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.81, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, UNITED STATES STEEL CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $37.00 million or 61.85% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full United States Steel Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.